Posted in empowerment, marketing, Organization, Thrive, Transition, visionary, tagged baby boom, business, Coach, dinosaur, dynamo, entrepreneur, Fran Asaro, law of attraction, management, marketing, retire, stuck, thrive, thriving, transition on September 29, 2016|
Leave a Comment »
Are you a dinosaur?
A dinosaur is a term used for those who are behind the times in technology and business. Maybe there was a time when you were ON YOUR GAME and well paid for it. Or maybe there was a time you were a whiz at something but that something has become ‘nothing’ and you don’t know what the NEW thing is all about. What happened? Well, life happens, and just like when you purchase electronics and they become outdated the moment you walk out the door with them, the same goes for any of us who may have ‘left’ our industry. Did we become extinct?
Well, what happened is that things really changed and all of a sudden you don’t know how to use Microsoft office anymore and what the heck happened to just mailing out your marketing pieces? When did life start going so fast and how did I miss it?
Whether you stepped out to be a stay at home parent, decided to do something different or maybe you just re-entered the work world after a long time away for personal reasons, things change and if you didn’t stay on top of them, I’m sorry to say, you are now considered a dinosaur.
So what do you do? Do you have to go back to school? Start all over? Give up? They are all options of course, but as a life and business coach who works with many baby boomers who are starting over for many reasons including transitioning from corporate America to Entrepreneurship or living out a life’s passion to make a difference in the world, I know only too well how challenging it can be to delve into the world of the new and different.
While I always encourage my clients to get educated in some way about what’s new in business, I want to speak to those who are repulsed by the thought of learning something they don’t care about or can’t comprehend.
I’m here to tell you that being successful even though you are a dinosaur is very doable. Many people are doing it right now. You may not even recognize a fellow dinosaur because they are implementing some of the following tips and to be honest, they look like they know what they are doing!
Take a look below and before you throw in the towel on your vision, give your new adventure another try. Even if the items below still scare the daylights out of you, keep reading and do those things that you are willing. Who knows, the rest may fall into place. Dinosaurs typically move slowly…. But they move just the same.
Here are my top 7 Tips to go from Dinosaur to Dynamo. You can do this!!!
- List of your strengths and weaknesses – Right now you may feel like a dinosaur in ALL areas of business. Chances are you are only falling short in a few. Make a list of those things you feel confident in. Then make a list of the areas where you need support or training. Now that you have more clarity, you will be able to fill in the gaps more easily. Example: You many be excellent in your trade or with Networking but you are computer challenged and don’t even know what Social Media is and why it’s important.
- Subscribe to your industry related magazine – Most industries have a magazine that will keep you up to date on the changes being made and how to keep up. Find yours and read it religiously. Even if the wording is foreign, absorb what you can. Read the rest of these tips to help with the vague areas.
- Research industry related software programs – I have had 3 separate industry related software programs in my career and I will tell you that it was a life saver and a business creator. When you invest in a program specifically for your business, the creators of the software KNOW your world and usually provide what you need to look like a pro instantly. These features often include a contact management system, a ready built website, a blog, a predesigned autoresponder program, invoicing and so much more. They often offer a free trial for 30 days. Try it by adding a few sample clients to it and test it out. Warning, once again, if you are a true dinosaur, this will be very confronting – your job is NOT to learn it completely, but to know your options for future action.
- Seek out Freelancers – If you are really great at what you do and yet you aren’t great with marketing or social media, I hope you realize that your talents mean something. I always say, ‘you don’t have to do everything; you just need to get it done’. Learn who is out there serving people just like you – those who need help in marketing and technology. There are many sites where you can hire a freelancer, two of my favorites are fiverr.com (where most items are only $5) and Upwork.com (where you can hire a professional from all over the world at very affordable prices) You are NOT alone as a dinosaur and there are people who cater to you… REALLY
- Build your Team – Invest in outsourcing – You may be thinking, “I don’t have the funds to build a team”. I certainly understand that. I too have been in that predicament. I have been known to hire someone for just 2 hours a week until I could do more. Most of my trial people moved on to full time employees or outsourced professionals. Once you choose your team of desired business vendors, start outsourcing slowly. Choose a budget and find the largest need. Start with one freelancer at first and build as you get steadier.
- Join an existing team – As a former Realtor, I am often approached to coach new Realtors. Many of them are full-fledged self-starters and I am able to help them be autonomous in the business. However, there are those who are neither able to nor interested in doing all the facets of their industry. Or maybe they are not willing to put in all the hours that are necessary to build themselves. To those people I suggest they join a team of people who strategically work together where each provides a piece of the business puzzle. One may get leads, one may do leg work or review contracts and others may do administrative work. If you don’t want to build your own team, then join one. If you are a coach, join a coaching group. Chances are there is a co-op or group in your industry either locally or on-line.
- Hire a Coach – Speaking of Coach – Hiring a coach who can help you with resources, structure and motivation is always to your advantage. Look at how many successful people out there have their own coach. Why shouldn’t you? I will strongly suggest this however, many coaches go at their own pace and if you join a program of theirs and you are a dinosaur, chances are you will fall behind. Find a coach who will give you personal service and go at YOUR pace, not theirs.
These are just a few of the ways a ‘dinosaur’ can thrive in business. It’s possible and it’s done all the time. What you want to do is trust yourself if you feel inclined to build a business and trust that there is a way to get there in spite of your limitations. Just so you know; we ALL have limitations. A good business person typically does not do it ALL anyway. We don’t call them a dinosaur, we call them SMART! So get smart and let someone else help you shine.
Fran Asaro is the founder of Thrive Any Way Personal and Business Coaching. Helping entrepreneurs thrive in all areas of their lives. Contact Fran at Fran@thriveanyway.com or go to www.thriveanyway.com
Read Full Post »
Posted in Organization, Perseverance, Transition, tagged choice, Choose, choosing, clarity, decide, decision, indecision, law of attraction, law of attraction coach, loa, obstacles, opposing thought, stuck on January 5, 2013|
Leave a Comment »
I often wondered, before I became a coach, if everyone had to deal with as many opposing thoughts as I did. Sometimes it seems as though everything requires a decision and I am not prepared to decide. What then should one do when they are stuck with opposing thoughts?
Where are you stuck in your opposing thoughts? Does it have to do with wanting to be with a partner who you know is not the ‘one’ for you but you love anyway? Do you struggle whether you should stay in a secure unsatisfying job or take a huge leap into entrepreneurship? Are there life choices you just cannot move through because you cannot choose one from another?
After years of hearing my clients talk about their opposing thoughts I tapped into several techniques and tips to help along the way to resolve the dilemma.
When dealing with opposing thoughts, consider one of the following options to apply to your situation. If one works – great. You may need more than one technique and that’s fine too. The objective is to have tools to guide you through most opposing thoughts.
6 TIPS TO RESOLUTION –
- NOT THE RIGHT TIME – Consider that if you can’t make a decision yet, then it’s not time to do so. Maybe you need more time or information before choosing. Just allowing this to be an option may take a lot of pressure off of you and in return help expedite it any way.
- WORK ON YOU FIRST – Whenever you can’t make a decision, chances are you are not in the right place to do so with your personal development. Take time to meditate, journal or develop that inside of you that helps you choose effortlessly, key word being effortlessly. Decisions don’t have to be grueling. When it hurts to make one, then maybe you are trying too hard because you are not in the right place to do so. Relax and come from a better place.
- FEELINGS VS FACTS – If you are an over-thinker and you still haven’t come to a decision, consider that your solution may come from your feeling side instead. I get a lot of resistance from this one, even from myself, but I have to admit it works and is often the missing link. When bumping up against two or more conflicting thoughts try removing them from your mind at the moment and just sit quietly to connect with how you ultimately want to feel at the end of this equation. If you know you want to feel secure, peaceful and satisfied and one of the options does not support that, then you may have your answer. This takes some time, because we have been trained to be logical. With practice or a little bit of help you can begin trusting your instincts and feelings to make great decisions.
- JUMP WITHOUT A NET – Sometimes we bump up against opposing thoughts to prompt us to take action without too much thought. Being spontaneous and daring might be the lesson for us. If you have played life very safe in the past, then maybe it’s time to take a leap of faith. While it may not always work out the way you planned, you will have successes. And, you’ll probably feel so much better about yourself.
- GET HIGH LEVEL SUPPORT – Often we go to family members, friends or others to guide us through our life challenges. Many times these people bring their own limitations, fears and doubts to the equation – which actually keep you from making the decision that’s right for you. If you are going to choose support, choose someone who is truly supporting you and not attached to the outcome based on their own filtering system. Do not go to an empty well for water! Choose someone who is objective and has a similar philosophy or vision.
- ASK FOR SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE – I work with clients with diverse spiritual philosophies from Christian to Buddhist to Metaphysician. I can’t tell you how often I have to remind them to check in with their spiritual source to help with making a decision. If you haven’t done so yet, begin asking your source for strength and guidance to get you to your resolve. Remember to ‘listen’ for the answers, as they come in various packages.
How do you get unstuck from opposing thoughts? Please comment below and share what has worked and what didn’t. Since there are so many of us out there on the fence, your wisdom is requested.
To learn more about Fran Asaro and Thrive Any Way Personal and Business Coaching or to sign up for a complimentary coaching session by phone, go to www.thriveanyway.com
Read Full Post »
Posted in Organization, tagged building business, business, entrepreneur, growing business, mind mapping, mindmapping, organization, Overwhelm, sysemts, systematization, unorganized on June 6, 2011|
Leave a Comment »
[tweetmeme]As a life and business coach I must say that feeling of being unorganized and overwhelmed tops the charts with why my clients initially contact me. They are so confronted with the fact that they can’t get it all together. They feel stress and frustration. Often they feel like failures because they see others appearing to have it all together and they can’t see beyond the proverbial TO DO list.
I often hear, ‘how can I have a successful business when I can’t even clean off my desk?” In my personal experience – and I deal with both overwhelm and being unorganized myself – there are several tools to use when it comes to conquering this dilemma.
I learned the value of creating systems several years ago. There were years when I was a Realtor that my business ran haphazardly. I made some money but I wasn’t in charge of how it came in. Then the day came that I made an appointment with myself and took the time to create a system that worked for me, my budget and my personality. That was the most important appointment I ever kept. I got to see what creating a system provided for me. My business began to run like clockwork and soon it grew financially as well. Eventually, I was no longer a victim to whether business came in; I just managed what did as my income doubled then tripled. Other professionals began asking me what I was doing to have this success. I took great pleasure in sharing this secret with them.
If you are ready to get eliminate overwhelm in your life, follow some of the suggestions below to get the ball rolling. Sure this first part may look too simplistic, but have you done them? Take your time, make your own schedule but keep the appointment you make with yourself to get things done.
1. Make a full and complete list of all you need to accomplish
2. Choose 5 or less items from your list to accomplish
3. Set a time and date you would like to work on each one – and keep the date with yourself
4. Ask for help. You may need to delegate or just have someone to be accountable to
5. Keep a mental or written note of all that you accomplished. You will want to measure your results.
These are just a few tips to get you started. When it comes to creating a system for your life and/or your business, it’s important that you first begin with being clear of where you are and where you want to go.
Next life by Design message: Systems: How can they make a difference?
For more information about setting up systems and mind mapping, contact Fran Asaro 954 370 8001 or go to www.thriveanyway.com
Read Full Post »